Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Blogging through the Alphabet - P is for Practice, practice, practice.

Practice, practice, practice!  I remember being told that practice makes perfect!  Well that may or may not be the case.

When I started homeschooling Jonathan, we used Abeka as the curriculum.  It is what I grew up knowing for a good bit of the years I was homeschooled.  What I didn't remember was all the busywork that was involved in 1st and 2nd grade.

It got to the point that we would get so frustrated with all the extra work that was more or less repetition and something that wasn't in line with his learning style that we would cry.  Sometimes I would get more frustrated and yell because he still hadn't done the 10pages that were listed in the book. 

Yes, I am one of those who likes to make sure all of my papers are finished.  But I didn't realize my son is not one of those people.  So by pushing him to do something that he is not wired to do (practice, practice, practice) it really put a strain on our first year so of homeschooling.

It wasn't until half-way through 2nd grade that I changed things up.  I learned after reading several books what his learning style was and how it differed from the learning style.

So my advice to you is not to overwhelm your child with practice, practice, practice.  Listen to what they are saying and try to find out what their learning style is so that way you can do the best for your child. 

Homeschooling can be as fun or as stressful as you make it.  So choose to make it the BEST for your child.  You love them and chose to make the decision to homeschool them.  Don't stress them out and don't stress yourself out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment